Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Fear of Catastrophe

Let me start by saying the Earthquake in Haiti is a horrible tragedy, and my thoughts and prayers are with the people there. I hope the death toll is low, however I do not think that will be the case.

What does the earthquake in Haiti have to do with us here in America? More than you think. White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel once said " you should never let a good crisis go to waste" What if a devastating earthquake hit the USA? A 7.0 or greater in the right spot could do serious damage to the economy, to our world, to our level of civility! See the quake that hit Haiti was the first of this magnitude in 200 years, so it is not impossible for it to happen here. Boston is on a fault line, that is "Way Overdue" for a substantial earthquake. That's not me saying that, The US Geological Survey said that.

What's my point? If some major Catastrophe with a wider radius of destruction than Katrina hit here and the casualties were in the tens of thousands, would we suddenly disintegrate into 3rd world chaos?

I have a couple of thoughts to share that you may or may not agree with.

First, If the recovery of these victims becomes difficult, and identifying them becomes a challenge would people in power consider a way to track people for future disasters, like I don't know 2012? I'm not saying I'm a 2012 doomsdayer, I'm simply stating that nobody knows what could happen tomorrow, so how about using a human lo-jack. Sound eerie? Well the technology is already available. RFID is a microchip in some licenses in this country and abroad. It is in your new passport, and it could be used to track us. You are thinking OK Conspiracy theory man, right... tracking us with chips OK!!!
Hear me out, would you get a chip if it meant your child disappeared, and they could find him/her with this chip? These chips are already being used in some military personnel, and in some rescue workers, etc... Is it too far fetched that the GPS coordinates of your front door, that the Census department obtained last spring could be tied to your tracking chip, and that tracking chip could be tied to your cell phone, and to your bank accounts?
Ever use your speed pass at the gas station, or your frequent shopper card at your local supermarket? We are building a data base for this system already, and don't even know it.

You are probably thinking way too expensive Norm! It is expensive, but does this Country, or any country right now seem like they are on a conservative fiscal plan?
We are spending money sooooo fast as a government, and I know this crisis in Haiti needs attention, but we respond faster to other peoples problems, than we respond to our own.

My final point is this: Have you heard anything recently, since January 20, 2009 about immigration, and our borders? Probably not, right? Eyes are off the ball, aren't they? I hope I am wrong, but I do not think I am.... we are being conditioned in many ways.... A story yesterday on multiple news networks was about how Americans are comfortable with Full body scanners at airports, because they could get blown up on a plane. FEAR. Get the H1N1 vaccine. FEAR. There seem to be an increasing number of Gun tragedies, Army base shootings, office shootings etc... FEAR.
At what point do we surrender our weapons, surrender our privacy, and surrender our freedoms, because of FEAR?

Watch out because it is coming,FEAR!
See you tomorrow

Norm

No comments: