Friday, October 15, 2010

Is everything offensive?

Anderson Cooper the host of Anderson Cooper 360, was on the Ellen Show and spoke openly about his feelings regarding the use of the word "Gay". If I am not mistaken Anderson is in fact a gay man. What is more offensive, the word gay, or the term homosexual? If my preference for a life partner was someone of the same gender as myself, what would offend me? Nothing! If I was proud of who I was, and proud of who I was with, it would not offend me! I know I am not speaking as a gay person, so I cannot really pretend I know the emotions one would feel being subjected to that treatment. We are not talking about any type of treatment, or any type of aggression from one person towards another, We are talking about a word.

According to Anderson Cooper "words are weapons" and the children are being bullied, and the bullying needs to stop. I agree that bullying needs to be dealt with, but we are talking about a movie, a line in a movie, and to break it down further, a word in a line in a movie! What happened to freedom of speech? What happened to having creative freedom? What happened, to society?

I always go way out far when I write, and until I'm prohibited from doing so, by law I'll do just that!

I have gay family members, I have gay people I have worked with, and I have gay friends! I'm proud of all 3 facts here. And what I find offensive Mr Cooper is that you would deem a word so offensive and dangerous that it should be banned, because afterall we live in the United States of America, where freedom of speech is shrinking because of narrow focus, and statements like that! You were correct when you stated that words are weapons, and anyone with a 10th grade education could put together a group of harmless words, and deliver it in a harmful manner. Does the expression "It's all in the delivery" mean anything?

See if we ban one word, and then two words, pretty soon there are limits on free speech, what comes after that? People not liking the way you dress, or your haircut? If we allow ourselves to constantly be pushed back under the guise of Political correctness, at some point we will be back against a wall! What happens when a string of short people kill themselves because they are called "Shrimp", or how about the kid covered in acne called "Pizza face" or the poor kids who were made fun of for being poor? Just for the record I was poor, and covered in acne growing up, and made fun of constantly, and these suicides while tragic, are not just because of words, there is something else going on in there.

No comments: