Saturday, March 6, 2010

36,000 jobs lost is a good thing? Not at all!

I know, I shut myself down yesterday, but I just could not keep this to myself. To understand the #'s in the world of the unemployed, you need to present the real #'s. So new filings only went up by 36,000 people, let's put that into perspective. You go to a Redsox game and the seats are empty. 36,000 is a substantial number of people, a number 4x larger than the population of my town.

What Washington does not seem to understand, is that companies still need to operate, and those 36,000 jobs lost are on top of the other 14.8 million that have been lost in this "Depression". Washington needs to man up and show some courage and let Americans know the real #'s. What are the real #'s? Almost 24 million people are unemployed right now out of 130 million in the US workforce. That's almost 25%. How do I know this? USDebtclock.org has this on their page, and it is real! I am fortunate to be in a position that I do not need to work, but I would like to. I need the right job for the right price, in the right town, with the right hours. Basically, I need many things to go "Right" for me to be employed. I need to put my son in a morning routine before school, and after school, and my daughter would need to be there all day. My wife would have to change her morning routine, to accommodate me going to work again, and I would need to do pick up. So daycare costs would be $250 a week? So what kind of job would be worth doing that? Let's see.... a 40 hour job @ $15.00 per hour = $600. pretax! Figure $180 in tax leaves $420-$250 daycare = $170. Does not seem worth it. (I have not made $15 per hour since I was 23)! OK so lets say $25 per hour $1,000 a week $320 in taxes $680 left = $250 Daycare leaves $430. Better #'s but probably not as close to home, so driving time, gas.... more stress.

What is my point? Washington is out of touch with the reality of the working people! Most people do not have assistants, or aids, or multiple homes. They do not look at the 36,000 jobs lost as a good thing, because that number adds 36,000 people potentially from taking that job the other 23.5 million are looking for!

We are weeks away, from the truth hitting home. When health care gets passed, or Cap and trade gets passed, we will see the real pain America is feeling, as more people wake up to the reality, that we are not in Kansas anymore, they will see the damage that the Tornado named Washington has done to us all!

No comments: